900 businesses in Rochdale failed to pay business rates
Date published: 17 October 2017
Close to 900 (14%) businesses in Rochdale have been hauled before magistrates for failure to pay rates tax.
An investigation by CVS shows that last year, 897 businesses in Rochdale were brought before magistrates for non-payment of their business rates tax, fuelling claims that the current system is criminalising struggling businesses.
The data reveals that 14% businesses across Rochdale received a summons to appear before a Magistrate in the last financial year and that already, in the first five months of the 2017 financial year (April – September), a further 353 have already been summonsed to court.
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1"Defining moment" for Rochdale town centre as a further £150M to be invested
- 2Castleton to Rochdale town centre to be one of the first new cycling and walking schemes
- 3Degree success for Rochdale student who fled Afghanistan as a child
- 4Graduate with first-class degree returns to teach at former primary school
- 5Arrests at Rochdale caravan park