Broadband reaching 95% of UK premises
Date published: 29 January 2018
CLA campaigning for broadband in all rural areas
The Government has announced delivery of superfast broadband to 95% of UK premises.
CLA President Tim Breitmeyer said: “Achieving 95% is an important milestone in the delivery of superfast broadband across the whole of the UK but this still leaves significant areas devoid of a fast connection, critical for many rural businesses.
"Getting connections to rural homes and businesses is complex and expensive but it is essential and a crucial part of establishing fairness and balance in the economy.
"That is why the universal service obligation of 10Mbps that we fought so hard for, is important not only to rural areas but to the whole country.
“It is not just imperative to get rural homes and businesses connected in the first place but also to ensure the service they receive keeps pace with demand and technological change.
"The universal service obligation must be enacted in law without delay. Once it is in force, we will press for it to be constantly updated to end the digital divide that has held back our economy for too long.”
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1Be aware of men in a transit van going door-to-door selling fish
- 2Schoolboy faces daily 12-mile round trip on four buses to attend high school
- 3One of Rochdale’s oldest family businesses to move after almost 60 years
- 4Plan to link Middleton to tram network
- 5For years dismissed as 'laziness', but now cruel disease is finally getting attention it deserves