Rochdale Business Awards 2013 described as ‘best yet’
Date published: 08 November 2013
Business of the Year – Turnover more than 5m – Simkiss Control Systems Limited
Rochdale Town Hall played host to the third Rochdale Business awards this evening (Friday 8 November) with organiser Martin Torr describing the event as “the best yet.”
The Town Hall was filled with business people representing each business nominated, as well as local councillors.
Awards were given out in nine different categories.
Winner of the awards were:
- Business of the Year – Turnover more than £5m – Simkiss Control Systems Limited
- Business of the Year – Turnover between £1m and £5 m– Groundwork Oldham and Rochdale
- Business of the Year – Turnover under £1m – Dirtworks BMX
- Start up business of the Year – Finlay Jude Associates Ltd
- Businessman of the Year – Paul Simkiss
- Businesswoman of the Year – Jamilla Paul
- Apprentice Employer – Smart Electrial Engineers Limited
- Environmental Business – Kleen Strike (UK) Ltd.
- Retailer/High Street Business – Brown’s Handcrafted Cakes
Rochdale MP Simon Danczuk attended the event and said: “This is a great occasion and is a really delightful event. It is great that we can come together and celebrate business in Rochdale. It is great to celebrate the success of Rochdale businesses and entrepreneurs who create thousands and thousands of jobs in our borough.”
Councillor Colin Lambert said: “This event really goes to show the success of Rochdale and having 91 entries shows that great success. It is a great night to celebrate the achievements of Rochdale. Rochdale is not all about negatives, it is about positives and it is time to show people the good things of Rochdale and this is one way to do that.”
Event organiser Martin Torr was pleased with the success of the event. He said: “It has been the best yet. The quality of the nominations has been the best yet. The nominations have increased this year and there was a waiting list for tickets. That shows how successful this event has become. It is now part of people's calendar and shows that this award is something people want to win.”
Chairman of the Steering Group Steve Lowe added: “This has been a great evening. The atmosphere has been fantastic.
"Businesses of Rochdale should be proud of their success in town. Commiserations to those who did not win but you are all winners and congratulations to those who did win.
"I look forward to seeing everyone again this time next year.”
Established in 2011 the Rochdale Business Awards celebrate the achievements of business and business people in Rochdale.