Letter: Is it really all that bad?
Date published: 16 September 2017
Is the council's budgetary position as bad as they keep making out or are they pulling our leg?
It seems like every week that I read about them moaning about getting £200 million less funding than they used to do from the government and how, despite this, they still "fight" to maintain the services "that we know mean the most to our residents".
Either they are pulling a fast one on us or they are absolutely brilliant and we're lucky to have them.
I think everyone agrees that this Tory government is not a friend to Rochdale and its people, hence the slashing of our money, but it is worth remembering that the Lib Dems are equally to blame. They propped up the Tory government that first introduced these draconian cuts, and were instrumental in the heartache that caused to areas like ours.
So either we are really lucky to have a council which works hard to negate the effect of these cuts or they are simply being overdramatic.
Michael Paul Smith
The views expressed are those of the author of the letter and not those of Rochdale Online.
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1Local schools affected by the collapse of Carillion
- 2Teenage boy taken to hospital after collision - Manchester Road closed
- 3Forthcoming roadworks on Smithy Bridge Road and Old Road will cause disruption and delays
- 4Councillors Sara Rowbotham and Daalat Ali appointed deputy leaders of Rochdale Borough Council
- 5Do not hold your nose and close your mouth when you sneeze, doctors warn