Letter: Is it really all that bad?
Date published: 16 September 2017
Is the council's budgetary position as bad as they keep making out or are they pulling our leg?
It seems like every week that I read about them moaning about getting £200 million less funding than they used to do from the government and how, despite this, they still "fight" to maintain the services "that we know mean the most to our residents".
Either they are pulling a fast one on us or they are absolutely brilliant and we're lucky to have them.
I think everyone agrees that this Tory government is not a friend to Rochdale and its people, hence the slashing of our money, but it is worth remembering that the Lib Dems are equally to blame. They propped up the Tory government that first introduced these draconian cuts, and were instrumental in the heartache that caused to areas like ours.
So either we are really lucky to have a council which works hard to negate the effect of these cuts or they are simply being overdramatic.
Michael Paul Smith
The views expressed are those of the author of the letter and not those of Rochdale Online.
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1Arrests at Rochdale caravan park
- 2"Defining moment" for Rochdale town centre as a further £150M to be invested
- 3Rochdale market to open in August
- 4Castleton to Rochdale town centre to be one of the first new cycling and walking schemes
- 5Degree success for Rochdale student who fled Afghanistan as a child