Letter: Boundary commission revised constituency proposals
Date published: 27 October 2017
Map of the three new proposed constituencies: Rochdale, Prestwich and Middleton, and Littleborough and Saddleworth.
The boundaries were set when the populations in some areas were very different from today and the independent body of the Boundary Commission is trying to rectify this by making all constituencies have between roughly 71,000 – 78,000 electors.
Add to this the requirement to reduce the number of MPs to 600 from 650, still higher than some other countries’ legislative bodies, and it would be almost impossible to do this without drastic changes to boundaries, especially in large conurbations such as Greater Manchester.
The views expressed are those of the author of the letter and not those of Rochdale Online.
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1Be aware of men in a transit van going door-to-door selling fish
- 2Schoolboy faces daily 12-mile round trip on four buses to attend high school
- 3One of Rochdale’s oldest family businesses to move after almost 60 years
- 4Plan to link Middleton to tram network
- 5For years dismissed as 'laziness', but now cruel disease is finally getting attention it deserves