Letter: Fuelling the fire - email councillors and ask them to divest from fossil fuel industry
Date published: 10 November 2017
Email our Councillors & ask them to divest from fossil fuel industry
A global climate crisis is underway, with extreme weather and rising sea levels threatening the lives of millions of people. Action is urgently needed, but our councils are still banking on the culprits.
New data has revealed that councils across the UK are investing more than £16 billion in the fossil fuel industry – the companies responsible for the climate crisis.
Halting the expansion of fossil fuels is a matter of survival for communities around the world – we need to stand in solidarity with them, and fight for climate justice.
Friends of the Earth believe it is time for our councils to divest their pension funds from companies who are driving the climate crisis, and instead work for a just transition towards a fair, renewable future.
Readers of Rochdale Online can mail their councillors now and ask them to support the campaign to divest our council pension funds at:
The views expressed are those of the author of the letter and not those of Rochdale Online.
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1Young woman from Norden cause of death attributed to Myalgic Encephalomyelitis
- 2Man charged with murder of a woman
- 3Letter: Hollingworth Lake Rochdale's ‘jewel in the crown’?
- 4Mayor Making Ceremony 2018 - Mohammed Zaman is the new Mayor of Rochdale
- 5Fundraising restarted for Samantha Smith’s third surgery abroad