Letter: Time our votes mattered
Date published: 12 February 2018
Time our Votes Mattered
With the May local government elections already so clearly in the air locally it is superb to see the Electoral Reform Society confirm that our Member of Parliament Tony Lloyd is in favour of Electoral Reform.
There is support for proportional representation right across the political spectrum. It is time our out of date electoral system was reformed.
In six of the last 12 elections, at least half of the people who voted ended up being represented by someone they didn't vote for.
The UK voting system is broken between 1931 and 2010, no UK general election produced a government with majority support.
A proportional voting system would protect the United Kingdom from being ruled by a minority.
It is time for a fairer more representative form of electing our decision makers.
Concerned readers can find out more about the campaign to make our votes matter at:
The views expressed are those of the author of the letter and not those of Rochdale Online.
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1Young woman from Norden cause of death attributed to Myalgic Encephalomyelitis
- 2Letter: Hollingworth Lake Rochdale's ‘jewel in the crown’?
- 3Man charged with murder of a woman
- 4Mayor Making Ceremony 2018 - Mohammed Zaman is the new Mayor of Rochdale
- 5Fundraising restarted for Samantha Smith’s third surgery abroad