Letter: High Court injunction preventing travellers from setting up illegal camps
Date published: 28 February 2018
Travellers on Cronkeyshaw Common
The High Court Injunction preventing travellers from setting up illegal camps around the town is music to my ears.
I am fed up of them setting up camp on the Kingsway Business Park, Cronkeyshaw Common and countless other sites around the borough
What a mess they leave afterwards. Not to mention the stress and fear they cause among neighbouring residents who are plagued by anti-social behaviour.
Up to now, they have run rings around the trespass laws and made a mockery of the courts. Now, this High Court injunction means they can be forced to move immediately by the police or face arrest if they refuse. Their wagons and caravans can be seized.
There have been 133 illegal camps set up in Rochdale in the past three years - costing around £10,000 a time to clear up afterwards. That is a huge £1.3 million cost to the council tax payer.
Thank you Rochdale Council for being one of the few councils to take this decisive step forward. We will all sleep easier in our beds and be better off in our pockets in the future.
The views expressed are those of the author of the letter and not those of Rochdale Online.
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1Tram services along the Rochdale via Oldham line suspended after windows smashed
- 2Town Centre Public Space Protection Order to be implemented at end of June
- 3Manchester Airport confirms charges for dropping-off
- 4Motorcyclist suffers possible life-changing injuries following collision
- 5Wardleworth youngsters make a record-breaking difference