Lancashire competition beckons for runners Sam Wellington and Oliver Brooks
Date published: 03 November 2017
Oliver Brooks and Sam Wellington
Sam Wellington, 11, and Oliver Brooks, 12, cross country runners from Whitworth Community High School have been selected to compete in a Lancashire competition at Marl Pits in Rawtenstall.
Both are more used to playing football, but Sam also completed the Whitworth Fell Race earlier this year when he came eighth.
Sam finished in fourth position and Oliver was sixth, with the top eight going through to the national competition.
He said: “We were ecstatic when we were told that we had qualified for the Lancashire race. We will have to do some more practice before that one.”
Oliver said: “When we were taking part in the cross-country event, at one point I thought I was going to stop because I was leading at the start and then everyone just started to overtake me.
“I knew that I had a good sprint at the end and I managed to get past three people and finish in sixth place.”
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1Two women arrested after car collides with railings outside Hopwood Hall College
- 2New labour ward bereavement centre opens at The Royal Oldham Hospital
- 3Police appeal after fatal collision at St Mary's Gate
- 4Disabled driver handed parking fine
- 5Straight-A student who would benefit any local employer