Lancashire competition beckons for runners Sam Wellington and Oliver Brooks
Date published: 03 November 2017
Oliver Brooks and Sam Wellington
Sam Wellington, 11, and Oliver Brooks, 12, cross country runners from Whitworth Community High School have been selected to compete in a Lancashire competition at Marl Pits in Rawtenstall.
Both are more used to playing football, but Sam also completed the Whitworth Fell Race earlier this year when he came eighth.
Sam finished in fourth position and Oliver was sixth, with the top eight going through to the national competition.
He said: “We were ecstatic when we were told that we had qualified for the Lancashire race. We will have to do some more practice before that one.”
Oliver said: “When we were taking part in the cross-country event, at one point I thought I was going to stop because I was leading at the start and then everyone just started to overtake me.
“I knew that I had a good sprint at the end and I managed to get past three people and finish in sixth place.”
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1Severe blow for Rochdale Riverside development as M&S pulls out
- 2Body of a man discovered at Oxford Drive
- 3Paul Wayne Fettig charged with possessing indecent photographs of children and extreme images
- 4Paul Lawson: Coroner rules accidental death
- 5Collision between tram and car on Drake Street suspends Metrolink services