Lancashire competition beckons for runners Sam Wellington and Oliver Brooks
Date published: 03 November 2017
Oliver Brooks and Sam Wellington
Sam Wellington, 11, and Oliver Brooks, 12, cross country runners from Whitworth Community High School have been selected to compete in a Lancashire competition at Marl Pits in Rawtenstall.
Both are more used to playing football, but Sam also completed the Whitworth Fell Race earlier this year when he came eighth.
Sam finished in fourth position and Oliver was sixth, with the top eight going through to the national competition.
He said: “We were ecstatic when we were told that we had qualified for the Lancashire race. We will have to do some more practice before that one.”
Oliver said: “When we were taking part in the cross-country event, at one point I thought I was going to stop because I was leading at the start and then everyone just started to overtake me.
“I knew that I had a good sprint at the end and I managed to get past three people and finish in sixth place.”
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1Be aware of men in a transit van going door-to-door selling fish
- 2One of Rochdale’s oldest family businesses to move after almost 60 years
- 3Schoolboy faces daily 12-mile round trip on four buses to attend high school
- 4For years dismissed as 'laziness', but now cruel disease is finally getting attention it deserves
- 5Arrests following anti-social behaviour linked to stolen mopeds