Charley Leech nets place on Lancashire team
Date published: 03 November 2017
Footballer Charley Leech is another step closer his goal after landing a place with Lancashire U16s.
The 16-year-old from Whitworth has played for Rochdale since he was eight and is hoping to secure an apprenticeship with the club before he finishes his GCSEs at Whitworth Community High School.
His dream is to become a professional footballer.
Charley said: “I captained the Rossendale Town Team that won the Lancashire Schools Under 15s Cup for the first time in 20 years in June.
“As a result of that win, I was invited to trial for Lancashire U16s. At the first trial there were 150 players and from those they picked 50, then 30 and finally 15 to play for the team and I was one of the lucky ones.”
A couple of friendly matches were played and Charley played in the match against Bury U16s when the team won 2-1.
The centre back was then picked to play for the team in a league competition against West Lancs and Lancashire won 3-2.
His next match is a cup game away at Durham.
He said: “It is brilliant being picked for the team. It is the first time that a student from Whitworth has played for the County team in a long time.”
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1Two women arrested after car collides with railings outside Hopwood Hall College
- 2New labour ward bereavement centre opens at The Royal Oldham Hospital
- 3Council tax to increase by a whopping 5.58%
- 4Local taxi driver’s car windows repeatedly smashed over the last month
- 5Police appeal after fatal collision at St Mary's Gate