Children St John with St Michael CE Primary School invited to Council Chambers
Date published: 27 November 2017
Children from St John with St Michael CE Primary School at Whitworth Council Chambers
Children from St John with St Michael CE Primary School in Shawforth were invited to Whitworth Council Chambers based at The Riverside, Whitworth to link in with UK Parliament week.
They were asked to debate on the topic of traffic within their local area especially regarding parking in and around their school; which has become a major issue for many local schools not just St John with St Michael.
Year 5 and 6 children held a debate alongside Whitworth Town councilors and the Mayor of Whitworth on the topic of traffic.
The children put across a good argument as to why they think that is it dangerous to park in certain areas in Shawforth and also the need for speed cameras, mobile speed devices and the presence of the local PCSO.
They also put across the idea of a walking bus and car sharing to reduce congestion at the school gates.
Leading on from this debate some of the children were joined later in the week by local firemen from the Bacup station to remind early morning motorists of the dangers of speeding and parking dangerously near a school.
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1Councillor Allen Brett is the new leader of Rochdale Borough Council
- 2Local police warn of increase in thefts of keyless vehicles
- 3Fierce battle raging for leadership of Rochdale Council
- 4Council cabinet members not prepared to serve under new leader
- 5Councillor Allen Brett says he is "proud and humbled" to have been elected Leader of the Council