Rochdale Observer offices to close
Date published: 10 March 2009
The Rochdale Observer offices on Drake Street are set for closure after MEN Media, the publisher of the Manchester Evening News, the Observer and 21 other North West weekly newspapers, announced that it would be closing all editorial offices of its weekly papers and making 150 employees redundant.
Staff at the Observer were told of the cuts today. Production of the paper will be moved to the MEN offices in central Manchester.
Further office closures will take place in Accrington, Ashton, Macclesfield, Oldham, Rossendale, Salford and Wilmslow and a total of 78 editorial jobs will be axed.
The Guardian Media Group is set to issue a statement later this afternoon.
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1Man snapped on ladder balanced on roof of transit van on blind bend in Whitworth
- 2Some town centre car parks closed on Saturday
- 3Francis Patrick Doherty sentenced to prison for series of car crimes
- 4Metrolink slammed for reluctance to replace vandalised ticket machine at Newhey
- 5Spectacular drone footage captures legacy of former Turner Brothers Asbestos site