MP takes legal advice against Rochdale Observer
Date published: 22 June 2009
Rochdale MP Paul Rowen is planning to launch legal proceedings against the Rochdale Observer for “inaccurate and misleading” coverage of MP’s expenses.
The newspaper printed a story last week detailing purchases which the MP says are incorrect and damaging to his reputation.
Mr Rowen described the Rochdale Observer’s coverage as, “…inaccurate, misleading and damaging to my reputation.”
He added: “I have spoken at length to my solicitors and they will now start legal proceedings in relation to their coverage.
“Their coverage was inaccurate, misleading and damaging to my reputation and I am furious at their handling of the whole issue. I will be pushing for a full retraction in next week’s paper, associated costs and a donation to Springhill Hospice.
“Like other news organisations, I invited the Rochdale Observer three weeks ago to come and personally review my expenses.
“They chose not to take up the opportunity to ask any questions.
"After 25 years as an elected councillor and MP, this is the first time that I have felt it necessary to take action against local media.”
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1Abid Hussain jailed for 16 and a half years for conspiracy to supply Class A and B drugs
- 2Rochdale Sixth Form College 99% A-level pass rate and outstanding Oxbridge success
- 3Mecca Rochdale pays out £1.42m in prize money
- 4Rochdale town centre door staff to wear bodycams
- 5Thousands of jobs at Wilko at risk