MP takes legal advice against Rochdale Observer
Date published: 22 June 2009
Rochdale MP Paul Rowen is planning to launch legal proceedings against the Rochdale Observer for “inaccurate and misleading” coverage of MP’s expenses.
The newspaper printed a story last week detailing purchases which the MP says are incorrect and damaging to his reputation.
Mr Rowen described the Rochdale Observer’s coverage as, “…inaccurate, misleading and damaging to my reputation.”
He added: “I have spoken at length to my solicitors and they will now start legal proceedings in relation to their coverage.
“Their coverage was inaccurate, misleading and damaging to my reputation and I am furious at their handling of the whole issue. I will be pushing for a full retraction in next week’s paper, associated costs and a donation to Springhill Hospice.
“Like other news organisations, I invited the Rochdale Observer three weeks ago to come and personally review my expenses.
“They chose not to take up the opportunity to ask any questions.
"After 25 years as an elected councillor and MP, this is the first time that I have felt it necessary to take action against local media.”
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1Craig Dawick jailed for life for 'sadistic' murder of baby son
- 2Dead horse on Heywood Old Road sparks police investigation
- 3Fears The Baum may be forced to close
- 4Rochdale Market set to operate three days a week from new Lord Square site
- 5Rochdale Woman of the Year Kath O’Donnell left in 'immense pain' following pain management service...