Danczuk claims nearly £700 for just four months parking
Date published: 04 February 2016
Rochdale MP Simon Danczuk faces yet more questions about his parliamentary expenses.
It has been revealed that Mr Danczuk claimed a whopping £672.50 in parking charges for just four months - from 7 April until 1 August 2015. This includes a single bill for £178.50 on 1 August for parking in Manchester.
His latest expenses claims are due to be published soon.
Councillor Andy Kelly, Lib Dem leader in Rochdale, said: "Yet again our MPs expenses are in the spotlight. To claim this amount of money for four months is crazy.
"Let's not forget that this is a man who recently spoke in support of Rochdale commuters. He could have avoided this hefty bill by getting the train to Manchester with everyone else - it's only 20 minutes for god's sake. Metrolink is longer, but would drop him off at Piccadilly for his 'first class' train to London.
"Questions must be asked why he claimed £178 for parking in August. Parliament wasn't even sitting, he should have been in Rochdale doing his day job. The legitimacy of this should also be called into question.
"These claims are systematic of the attitude that Mr Danczuk has to tax payer's money.
"I'd be very interested in his response."
Mr Danczuk did not respond to a request for comment.
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1Explosions heard for miles as M62 is closed due to vehicle fire
- 2The Empire, and 25 Ten Boutique, 'strike back' with fun filled photo shoot
- 3Chloe Campbell has been found safe
- 4Link4Life under fire for offering £5,000 fee for a consultant
- 5RBH guarantees town centre homes for residents at College Bank and Lower Falinge if flats are...