Ashworth Road completely closed as cracks cause safety concerns
Date published: 12 October 2017
Ashworth Road and the footpath are closed for the foreseeable future
Due to wide cracks covering the entire width of the road, Ashworth Road in Norden has been closed to all vehicles and pedestrians for the near future.
The closure of the road and the footpath comes as a safety precaution just days after part of the embankment was washed away following a landslide.
Andrew Storey, head of highways at Rochdale Borough Council, said: "As wide cracks have now appeared across the full width of this road, we have extended the closure to include pedestrians, to ensure everybody's safety. We've now appointed site investigation contractors and they will be on site in the next few days. We won’t be able to confirm how long the closure will be in place for until we have the results of their investigation."
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1Rochdale set for direct link to Manchester airport
- 2Tony Lloyd demands meeting on future of Marks and Spencer in Rochdale
- 3Council cabinet members not prepared to serve under new leader
- 4Councillors received almost three quarters of a million in allowances
- 5Council windfall from Manchester Airport Group shares