Arsonists burn clubhouse at Fothergill and Harvey Cricket Club to the ground
Date published: 08 November 2017
Photo: Craig Heselwood
The remains of the clubhouse at Fothergill and Harvey Cricket Club
The clubhouse at Fothergill and Harvey Cricket Club on Lightowlers Lane, Littleborough was burned to the ground by arsonists on Sunday (5 November), just one week after a break in, which saw racist graffiti sprayed on the walls.
The blaze was tackled by firefighters from Littleborough, Rochdale and Todmorden using jets and a hose reel.
As insurance premiums were so high, all repairs to the clubhouse and grounds were covered by the players themselves.
Members are now exploring options to get the club up and running again. A meeting will take place on Sunday (12 November) to look at the club’s options – including the possibility of installing temporary accommodation on the existing foundations – following ‘positive feedback’ from the cricket community and offers of help with funding.
Nearby cricket club, Littleborough Lakeside spoke of their dismay and have offered help.
Secretary of Littleborough Lakeside CC, Richard Holland, said: “We are obviously sad to learn of the incident and hope that they will be able to continue to play cricket there and re-build the club.
“We have had many close and competitive games over the years and we hope we can have many more in the future. The club will help and support Fothergills CC in any way we can.”
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1Be aware of men in a transit van going door-to-door selling fish
- 2One of Rochdale’s oldest family businesses to move after almost 60 years
- 3Schoolboy faces daily 12-mile round trip on four buses to attend high school
- 4For years dismissed as 'laziness', but now cruel disease is finally getting attention it deserves
- 5Arrests following anti-social behaviour linked to stolen mopeds