Tony Lloyd demands meeting on future of Marks and Spencer in Rochdale
Date published: 14 December 2017
The current Marks and Spencer store on Yorkshire Street
Rochdale MP Tony Lloyd has demanded a meeting with Archie Norman – the chairman of the Marks and Spencer Group – following M&S pulling out of the Rochdale Riverside development.
Mr Lloyd said: "People in Rochdale were genuinely delighted to know M&S planned a new, state of the art store as part of the regeneration of the town, but we find the company backtracking.
"Bluntly, M&S has let down local people and done real damage to the Marks and Spencer brand.
"Even at this stage, it is important to make sure that the decision really has been thought through at the very highest level in Marks and Spencer, which is why I am asking to meet with Archie Norman as a matter of priority."
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1Former director of Climb Rochdale charged with seven child sex offences
- 2Letter: Red Light jumping
- 3 £1,300 raised towards funeral of 21-year-old who died in collision
- 4Pembroke Court called ‘death trap flats’ by former resident
- 5Coroner rules 11-year-old girl died ‘as a result of traffic collision’