Candidates selected for Youth Parliament election
Date published: 13 January 2018
Candidates: Louis Tweedale, Bartek Szymkiewicz, Adam Wilkinson, Evie Gray, Myiesha Amani and Anita Okunde
Scroll down for Video
Six candidates have started campaigning to become Rochdale’s Member of Youth Parliament.
- Louis Tweedale - Hollingworth Academy
- Bartek Szymkiewicz - St Cuthbert’s
- Myiesha Amani - Oulder Hill
- Anita Okunde - Kingsway Park
- Adam Wilkinson - Wardle Academy
- Evie Gray - Wardle Academy
Councillor Kieran Heakin, cabinet member for children’s services, said: “Each year we see fantastic candidates up for election. It is really great to see young people getting involved in the youth parliament and the democracy process at an early age. They will learn so much in this experience that will help them in later life, they should be really proud of their achievements this far.”
The election is now open and ballot papers are available from the youth service and will be in schools across the borough and we are hoping to beat last year’s record breaking voter turnout of 11,000 votes cast.
Candidates can be watched giving their manifesto pledges, and the topics they are passionate about, in their bid to win votes below.
Heather Mellalieu, lead youth worker at the youth service, said: “It was a really enjoyable interview evening with all our shortlisted young people participating and showing us how much Rochdale borough has to offer, we are really proud of their work.”
The election closes on Wednesday 21 February, with the results being announced on 22 February 2018 at Rochdale Town Hall.
Rochdale MYP candidates 2018
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1"Defining moment" for Rochdale town centre as a further £150M to be invested
- 2Arrests at Rochdale caravan park
- 3Rochdale market to open in August
- 4Castleton to Rochdale town centre to be one of the first new cycling and walking schemes
- 5Degree success for Rochdale student who fled Afghanistan as a child