Murder investigation launched after woman dies
Date published: 11 June 2018
A murder investigation has been launched, following the death of a woman in Rochdale.
Shortly before 5.50pm on Sunday 10 June, police were called by the North West Ambulance Service to a property on Balderstone Road in Kirkholt.
On arrival, officers discovered the body of a woman, believed to be in her 70's.
A 55-year-old man was arrested at the scene on suspicion of murder and remains in custody for questioning.
Enquiries into the circumstances surrounding the woman’s death are ongoing and a Home Office post mortem examination will be carried out.
Forensic officers and detectives will remain at the scene whilst investigations continue.
DCI Liz Hopkinson of GMP’s Major Incident Team, said: “This is a tragic set of circumstances where an elderly woman has lost her life and we have a team of dedicated officers working around the clock to establish what happened.
“While we have a man in custody, our investigation is in its very early stages and we would urge anyone with any information that could assist our enquiries to get in touch."
Anyone with any information should call police on 101 or 0161 856 8437, quoting reference number 1798 of 10/06/2018, or the independent charity Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555 111.
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1One of Rochdale’s oldest family businesses to move after almost 60 years
- 2Schoolboy faces daily 12-mile round trip on four buses to attend high school
- 3For years dismissed as 'laziness', but now cruel disease is finally getting attention it deserves
- 4Be aware of men in a transit van going door-to-door selling fish
- 5Arrests following anti-social behaviour linked to stolen mopeds