Bonfire and fireworks extravaganza lights the night sky
Date published: 30 October 2013
Thousands braved the torrential rain to enjoy a bonfire and fireworks extravaganza that lit the night sky above Cronkeyshaw Common tonight.
A spectacular array of fireworks filled the sky as families huddled around the bonfire, ankle deep in mud on a very wet and boggy common.
Bev Thorpe, who lives close to the Common, said: "It is a fabulous event that we look forward to every year.
"The fireworks were superb as usual and the Council deserves credit for how well organised it is."
Five-year-old Chloe Smith, who was enjoying the event with her parents, said: "I really like the colour of the fireworks even though they sometimes make me jump because they make loud bangs."
The final Council organised bonfire and firework display for this year takes place tomorrow night (Thursday 31 October) at Cherwell Avenue, Heywood from 6.00pm to 10.00pm. There will also be a funfair for families to enjoy.
Mayfield Rugby Club, Littleborough Cricket Club and Rochdale Cricket Club are also hosting organised bonfires:
- Mayfield Rugby Club bonfire and fireworks display, Friday 1 November, 7.00pm
- Norden Cricket Club bonfire and fireworks display, Saturday 2 November, gates at 5pm
- Littleborough Cricket Club firework display and fire pits, Sunday 3 November, 4pm
- Rochdale Cricket Club Second Annual Bonfire, Saturday 9 November, 5.30pm until late
Bonfire safety advice - tips on how to host a safe bonfire event:
Fireworks safety advice - details on the fireworks code and other handy hints:
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1Explosions heard for miles as M62 is closed due to vehicle fire
- 2The Empire, and 25 Ten Boutique, 'strike back' with fun filled photo shoot
- 3Chloe Campbell has been found safe
- 4Link4Life under fire for offering £5,000 fee for a consultant
- 5RBH guarantees town centre homes for residents at College Bank and Lower Falinge if flats are...