Wind turbine fire on moors near Rochdale
Date published: 03 June 2015
Wind Turbine fire on moors near Rochdale
Firefighters were called to tackle a fire a blazing 80 metre tall wind turbine on the moors above Rochdale this morning (Wednesday 3 June).
West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue service confirmed that they were called to the incident just off of Flower Scar Road on Todmorden Moor and described the turbine as “100% in fire”.
It is not yet know what caused the blaze, but Renewable Energy, who manage and operate the site, were at the scene shortly after the fire service.
In a statement, Renewable Energy said: “This morning a fire broke out in a turbine at Todmorden Moor Wind Farm in West Yorkshire. The fire service attended the site, but the fire extinguished itself.
“No one was hurt in the incident and as a precaution an exclusion zone has been set up around the turbine.
“Incidents like this are extremely rare and a full investigation into its cause has commenced.”
Crews from Todmorden and Bacup attended the scene at around 3:45am.
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1Two women arrested after car collides with railings outside Hopwood Hall College
- 2New labour ward bereavement centre opens at The Royal Oldham Hospital
- 3Police appeal after fatal collision at St Mary's Gate
- 4Disabled driver handed parking fine
- 5Straight-A student who would benefit any local employer