Wind turbine fire on moors near Rochdale
Date published: 03 June 2015
Wind Turbine fire on moors near Rochdale
Firefighters were called to tackle a fire a blazing 80 metre tall wind turbine on the moors above Rochdale this morning (Wednesday 3 June).
West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue service confirmed that they were called to the incident just off of Flower Scar Road on Todmorden Moor and described the turbine as “100% in fire”.
It is not yet know what caused the blaze, but Renewable Energy, who manage and operate the site, were at the scene shortly after the fire service.
In a statement, Renewable Energy said: “This morning a fire broke out in a turbine at Todmorden Moor Wind Farm in West Yorkshire. The fire service attended the site, but the fire extinguished itself.
“No one was hurt in the incident and as a precaution an exclusion zone has been set up around the turbine.
“Incidents like this are extremely rare and a full investigation into its cause has commenced.”
Crews from Todmorden and Bacup attended the scene at around 3:45am.
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1Be aware of men in a transit van going door-to-door selling fish
- 2Schoolboy faces daily 12-mile round trip on four buses to attend high school
- 3One of Rochdale’s oldest family businesses to move after almost 60 years
- 4Plan to link Middleton to tram network
- 5For years dismissed as 'laziness', but now cruel disease is finally getting attention it deserves