Wind turbine fire on moors near Rochdale
Date published: 03 June 2015
Wind Turbine fire on moors near Rochdale
Firefighters were called to tackle a fire a blazing 80 metre tall wind turbine on the moors above Rochdale this morning (Wednesday 3 June).
West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue service confirmed that they were called to the incident just off of Flower Scar Road on Todmorden Moor and described the turbine as “100% in fire”.
It is not yet know what caused the blaze, but Renewable Energy, who manage and operate the site, were at the scene shortly after the fire service.
In a statement, Renewable Energy said: “This morning a fire broke out in a turbine at Todmorden Moor Wind Farm in West Yorkshire. The fire service attended the site, but the fire extinguished itself.
“No one was hurt in the incident and as a precaution an exclusion zone has been set up around the turbine.
“Incidents like this are extremely rare and a full investigation into its cause has commenced.”
Crews from Todmorden and Bacup attended the scene at around 3:45am.
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1Rochdale set for direct link to Manchester airport
- 2Tony Lloyd demands meeting on future of Marks and Spencer in Rochdale
- 3Council cabinet members not prepared to serve under new leader
- 4Councillors received almost three quarters of a million in allowances
- 5Council windfall from Manchester Airport Group shares