MMA: Martin Stapleton defeated by Soren Bak
Date published: 28 October 2017
Photo: UFC Fight Pass
Martin Stapleton v Soren Bak
Rochdale's professional cage fighter Martin Stapleton was beaten by Soren Bak, of Denmark, in the Cage Warriors 88 at the Liverpool Echo Arena on Saturday night (28 October).
Bak's ground game was ruthless and he forced a submission from the former Royal Marine commando with a rear naked choke after three minutes fifty one seconds of the first round.
Stapleton started well spinning Bak to get on top after Bak took him down, but Bak quickly got a back mount, however, neither fighter was able to capitalise on this initial scramble despite some slick transitions.
The key move came after just two minutes of the round when Bak got Stapleton in a body triangle, squeezing hard on Stapleton's mid section and putting Stapleton in deep trouble.
Stapes relied on tucking his chin down to prevent the choke but with the body triangle really causing him trouble, sucking the air out of him, Bak was getting strikes into his face with his elbows before trying a face crush, then a short choke, but Stapleton battled out of both.
Bak gave up the triangle for hooks in the back mount position, and as Stapleton tried to split Bak's hooks it gave Bak the opportunity to place Stapleton in a rear naked choke leaving the former Royal Marine no option but to tap out in submission.
The victory takes Bak's record to nine wins and one defeat.
Stapleton's record is now 19 wins, six losses.
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1Be aware of men in a transit van going door-to-door selling fish
- 2One of Rochdale’s oldest family businesses to move after almost 60 years
- 3Schoolboy faces daily 12-mile round trip on four buses to attend high school
- 4For years dismissed as 'laziness', but now cruel disease is finally getting attention it deserves
- 5Arrests following anti-social behaviour linked to stolen mopeds