Rugby League: Lancashire Under 19s 44 - 16 Cumbria Under 19s
Date published: 13 November 2017
Lancashire Under 19s blew the Barla Tri Series wide open again with a comprehensive 44-16 over an outgunned but enthusiastic Cumbria at Thatto Heath.
After losing 25-18 to Yorkshire last week with tries from Leigh Miners Rangers pair Joe Digby (2) and Will Ashworth, Wigan St Patricks Josh Yates, and a goal from Cole Connolly (Rochdale Mayfield); the Lancashire team knew that only a resounding win would take the championship to an exciting conclusion.
A rapid start gave Lancashire early confidence as Dante Morley Samuels (Wigan St Judes), soon to join League One Coventry Bears was involved in the best of the action. He opened the scoring after six minutes and turned try provider a couple of minutes later as Callum Wood (Orrell St James) stretched away to score. Tom Goulding (Blackbrook) converted both but fell short with a third effort after Sam Lewis scored in the 16th minute.
Cumbria hit back with a sparkling try at the corner - fullback Jake Stockdale (Barrow Island) sweeping over to make it 16-4, but Liam Kenyon (Thatto Heath Crusaders) went in from close range to stretch the home advantage but missed the goal.
Todd Fenlon (Leigh Miners Rangers) scored after 31 minutes with Goulding adding his third goal but Cumbria threatened a comeback on the stroke of half-time when Askam's Keir Shephard darted over from dummy half and Tyler Batty (Dalton) converted.
Lancashire needed an early try to quell Cumbrian spirits and scored twice after 45 and 49 minutes to take the game away. The first was a sparkling long-range effort by Will Ashworth, beating a host of defenders, while the second went the way of burly substitute Shaun Costello (Clock Face Miners) Cole Connolly kicked goals for both and his own try after 61 minutes to make it 44-10.
Cumbria rallied and claimed their third try after a seventy-metre dash. Batty was the scorer and Aiden Wright completed scoring with a goal.
There was still enough time for Wood to get himself sinbinned for Lancashire, but this had little impact on the game and the red rose completed a 44-16 win.
- Will Ashworth (Leigh Miners)
- Charlie Taylor (Thatto Heath)
- Dante Morley Samuels (Wigan St Judes)
- Joe Digby (Leigh Miners)
- Todd Fenlon (Leigh Miners)
- Harvey Massey (Leigh East)
- Josh Yates (Wigan St Pats)
- Sam Lewis (Orrell St James)
- Callum Wood (Orrell St James)
- Tom Goulding (Blackbrook)
- Liam Kenyon (Blackbrook)
- Sam Favell (Thatto Heath)
- Adam Carr (Thatto Heath)
- Mike Fairclough (Wigan St Pats)
- Cole Connolly (Rochdale Mayfield)
- Shaun Costello (Clock Face Miners)
- Kieran Moore (Woolston)
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1"Defining moment" for Rochdale town centre as a further £150M to be invested
- 2Castleton to Rochdale town centre to be one of the first new cycling and walking schemes
- 3Degree success for Rochdale student who fled Afghanistan as a child
- 4Graduate with first-class degree returns to teach at former primary school
- 5Arrests at Rochdale caravan park