Cricket: Josh Tolley named players’ player of the year at Norden Cricket Club presentation
Date published: 14 November 2017
Norden Cricket Club chairman John Murphy presenting player of the year Josh Tolley with his trophy
Josh Tolley was named as Norden Cricket Club’s players’ player of the year during the annual presentation night.
Tolley, who totalled more than 1,000 runs in all forms of cricket last season, also won the first team batting award and the Majorca Batting Cup for the best one-match innings of the season – his century at Monton.
The first team bowling trophy went to captain Hashum Malik, while five wickets in a home match against Walsden earned Simon North the Majorca Bowling Cup.
Dominic Humphreys picked up three trophies as best junior in senior cricket.
Lianne Hampson and Lisa Lord won the ladies’ batting and bowling awards.
Two new trophies were on the table this year.
The Brian Butterworth Trophy, named in honour of the club president, will go annually to the most consistent lady player. The winner was Dee Hodgkinson.
The JR Bonser Trophy was named after a long-standing member and former Swinton Lions rugby player who died this year. This award will go annually to the junior player having won most representative honours during the year. The winner was Sami Waheed.
The Coupe Cup is, perhaps, the most prestigious NCC trophy. It goes to the person considered to have been an outstanding volunteer during the year. The winner was Phil Docker who received the trophy from club chairman John Murphy.
Full list of trophy winners
- Under 18s batting: Thomas Booth
- Under 18s bowling: Joe Humphreys
- Ladies’ batting: Lianne Hampson
- Ladies’ bowling: Lisa Lord
- Third team batting: Jamie Jackson
- Third team bowling: Spencer Allen
- Second team batting: Greg Tattersall
- Second team bowling: Mo Munowar
- First team batting: Josh Tolley
- First team bowling: Hashum Malik
- BI Butterworth Trophy (most consistent lady player) Dee Hodgkinson
- JR Bonser Trophy (junior with most representative honours in year): Sami Waheed.
- Harry Schofield Trophy (most representative honours): Dominic Humphreys
- Majorca Batting Cup: Josh Tolley. Majorca Bowling Cup: Simon North
- Hanmner Cup: Phil Docker
- Derek Parker Trophy (most improved player): Ross Collin
- Bob Tattersall Trophy (best junior fielder in senior cricket): Dominic Humphreys
- Harold Sibbert Trophy (best junior in senior cricket): Dominic Humphreys
- Geoff and Marion Hargreaves Trophy (players’ player of the year): Josh Tolley
- Coupe Cup: Phil Docker
Each week of the season the captains of the three senior teams name their top three players in each match, and at the end of the season the points are totalled.
The winner is awarded the Asif Mujtaba Shield which is named after a former club professional, and this year’s winner was Mo Munowar.
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1Tony Lloyd demands meeting on future of Marks and Spencer in Rochdale
- 2Rochdale set for direct link to Manchester airport
- 3Councillors received almost three quarters of a million in allowances
- 4Council windfall from Manchester Airport Group shares
- 5Aggresive beggars should be fined, says Councillor John Blundell