Tennis: Dave Gartside in national champions Lancashire tennis team
Date published: 06 December 2017
Dave Gartside at Wimbledon
Dave Gartside, a tennis player from Shawclough, helped Lancashire become the national tennis champions at Over 55 level.
Lancashire has a strong squad at senior level, and Mr Gartside plays alongside team mates from Bolton, Blackburn and Liverpool. They won matches against Yorkshire, Oxfordshire, Devon, Hertfordshire and Durham to qualify for the final, where they faced Leicestershire in Dudley last weekend.
Lancashire proved too strong for the Leicestershire team, running out comfortable winners.
It is the second year running that Lancashire have won the title, which is the premier team event in the country.
Mr Gartside said “It has been another good season, and obviously, becoming national champions is a fantastic achievement.
"My local team Bamford also had a good season, winning the Lancashire cup, and also finishing top in the Oldham and Manchester leagues."
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1Arrests at Rochdale caravan park
- 2"Defining moment" for Rochdale town centre as a further £150M to be invested
- 3Rochdale market to open in August
- 4Castleton to Rochdale town centre to be one of the first new cycling and walking schemes
- 5Degree success for Rochdale student who fled Afghanistan as a child