Football: Ryan Delaney joins Rochdale
Date published: 09 January 2018
Rochdale Football Club has signed Ryan Delaney from Championship side Burton Albion.
The 21-year-old defender joins Dale on a two-and-a-half-year deal.
After starting his career at Wexford Youths, he moved to Burton in 2016 and went on a season-long loan to Cork City in January. He returned to Burton in December at the end of his loan deal.
Delaney started 30 of Cork’s 33 league games, scoring five goals, as the side became League of Ireland champions and FAI Cup winners. He appeared 49 times in total. His outstanding performances for Crok earned him a place in the PFAI Team of the Year.
Delaney, who has been capped by Ireland at Under-21 level, said: “I wanted to come to a club that would help me progress even further and I feel that, at this point in my career, Rochdale is going to be a good club to help me to do that.
“The last year has been very good for me and I enjoyed getting out playing football and getting regular games. I feel as though I have improved a lot over the last year, so hopefully I can keep on progressing.”
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1"Defining moment" for Rochdale town centre as a further £150M to be invested
- 2Arrests at Rochdale caravan park
- 3Rochdale market to open in August
- 4Castleton to Rochdale town centre to be one of the first new cycling and walking schemes
- 5Degree success for Rochdale student who fled Afghanistan as a child