Judo: Jake Brearley earns a place in national school competition
Date published: 27 February 2018
Jake Brearley will be taking part in the British School Judo Championships Year 7 under 60kg category.
After Rochdale Judo Club visited his primary school, Jack got hooked on the sport.
Six years later, the 12-year-old Whitworth Community High School student is looking forward to representing his club in the national competition.
Jake, who also plays football for Blackburn, attends judo training sessions in Rochdale up to three times a week.
He said: “The club came into my primary school and did a demonstration and then ran an after-school club which I attended.
“There are not many people my age in the under 60kg category, so I often have to fight people who are a couple of years older than me.”
Chairman and Head Coach Warren Schofield said: “Jake is someone who excels in sport we hope he will do well in this event.”
Jake has a few other championships coming up including a trip to Northern Ireland with the judo club.
The championships will be on 18 March in Sheffield.
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1Tram services along the Rochdale via Oldham line suspended after windows smashed
- 2Town Centre Public Space Protection Order to be implemented at end of June
- 3Manchester Airport confirms charges for dropping-off
- 4Motorcyclist suffers possible life-changing injuries following collision
- 5Wardleworth youngsters make a record-breaking difference