Ophthalmic optician Stephen Holt celebrates 50 years of business
Date published: 11 November 2021
An independent optician is celebrating 50 years of business this week.
Stephen Holt opened his business – Stephen J Holt Ophthalmic Opticians – on Oldham Road on 8 November 1971, where he continues to practice to this day.
A former Rochdale Grammar School student, Mr Holt began his lengthy career by studying for a BSc Hons degree in Ophthalmic Optics at Bradford University.
He then spent his pre-registration year on placement at the Eye Department at Coventry and Warwickshire Hospital, before qualifying as an ophthalmic optician in 1971.
Additionally, Mr Holt has also closed his practice on Tuesday afternoons for more than 35 years so he can provide NHS care at Nye Bevan House’s paediatric eye clinic.
Mr Holt said the aim was to always set up his own business and modestly says, even after all this time, it “still feels the same.”
One of his favourite parts of the job, he said, is working with individuals and meeting new people.
Summing up the past 50 years, he described it as “enjoyable” and concluded: “I’ll be here for a while yet!”
Do you have a story for us?
Let us know by emailing email@example.com
All contact will be treated in confidence.
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1Middleton man jailed for his part in ‘industrial scale' £61m drug conspiracy
- 2Landlord of historic pub assures locals he’s ‘not turning it into a rave’ as venue gets outdoor...
- 3Rochdale man sentenced to 14 years in prison after running elderly man over with his own car
- 4Four new units being built at Kingsway Business Park
- 5Christmas Toy Appeal needs your support