Turn your spare stuff into cash at Bowlee Car Boot
Date published: 04 May 2018
Bowlee Car Boot Sale
Car boot sales are a great way to get rid of lots of your old stuff quickly, earn some extra money and have a fun day out during the summer – and we’re lucky that one of the biggest and best in Greater Manchester is right on our doorstep.
Bowlee Car Boot Sale & Collectors’ Market runs every Sunday or Bank Holiday Monday at Bowlee Park in Middleton. There’s no need to book, just turn up, and the events run from 7am to 1.30pm. (6.15am for sellers).
Improvements for 2018 include extra entrances for buyers/sellers to alleviate queues at peak times and better on site signage. Last year the council completed a refurbishment of customer toilets located in The Pavillion.
The prices for selling are £15 for cars, £20 for small vans/people carriers/4X4s and £25 for large vans and above. For buyers, there are spaces for over 1,200 cars in Bowlee Park at £2.50 per vehicle.
Last year the events attracted 5,000 buyers and 200 sellers a week on average.
Bowlee Car Boot Sale is much more fun than uploading items onto the internet and waiting for them to sell, especially if you get the chance to do one with a friend or your family in the sunshine.
If you’re thinking about doing Bowlee Car Boot, here are a few tips to boost your takings.
- Sort out what you would like to get rid of and identify the items that other people might want to buy. Popular items at a car boot sale include clothes, accessories, kid’s toys, baby goods, shoes, furniture, ornaments, frames, jewellery, books, games, CDs and DVDs.
- Prepare a float - make sure you have enough change. Get a small bag you can wear across your body to store this money and ensure it's kept safe.
- Most people hate rummaging so use anything you can to help show off your items better. A collapsible table and some portable, sturdy rails are useful for displaying your wares.
- A large mirror is useful if you’re selling clothes and accessories as people like to have a look at what potential purchases look like on.
- Doubling up with a friend or family member can boost sales and you will be quicker setting up. You can both sell your stuff which will mean there will be a variety of stock, making your stall more appealing.
- Making signs, arranging clothes by colour and organising items into categories makes it easier for buyers.
- If something on display is not generating any interest, try swapping it around for a more eye-catching piece that will get more people visiting your stall.
- People will be drawn to your pitch if you are smiling and welcoming. Show an interest in the customer as it has a big impact on sales.
- Most people suggest a price between 10-15% of the original value is a good guideline. Car boot sales are popular with hagglers. Buyers are on the hunt for a great bargain. So try and be flexible with the price!
For all the dates and more details visit:
Do you have a story for us?
Let us know by emailing email@example.com
All contact will be treated in confidence.