Letter: Boundary commission revised constituency proposals
Date published: 27 October 2017
Map of the three new proposed constituencies: Rochdale, Prestwich and Middleton, and Littleborough and Saddleworth.
The boundaries were set when the populations in some areas were very different from today and the independent body of the Boundary Commission is trying to rectify this by making all constituencies have between roughly 71,000 – 78,000 electors.
Add to this the requirement to reduce the number of MPs to 600 from 650, still higher than some other countries’ legislative bodies, and it would be almost impossible to do this without drastic changes to boundaries, especially in large conurbations such as Greater Manchester.
The views expressed are those of the author of the letter and not those of Rochdale Online.
Do you have a story for us?
Let us know by emailing email@example.com
All contact will be treated in confidence.
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1Off-road bikers terrorise lorry driver in Milnrow and were caught on camera
- 2Armed robbery at Norden Co-op
- 3Man disqualified for 46 months after drink-driving collision
- 4Rochdale pubs, bars, cafes and restaurants to benefit from the BID
- 5Application for Crimble Lane house to become a residential institution submitted