Letter: Please ask your MP to end precarious contracts
Date published: 05 March 2018
War on Want
Millions of people now work on precarious contracts.
The government’s own review fails to tackle the key issue, that with precarious contracts, employers hold all the power, whilst the workers hold none, unable to claim even the most basic rights at work.
We must demand MPs act to make the government guarantee basic rights at work for all workers.
Precarious contracts mean workers face the constant threat of losing future work, as well as having to make themselves available with no guarantee of hours, and pay.
Employers are given the power to withdraw workers’ livelihoods without accountability.
Faced with this imbalance of power, workers are less able to challenge abuse.
Please ask your MP to help ensure all workers have:
- The same rights at work e.g. maternity and parental, sick pay and trade union rights.
- Guaranteed hours, reasonable notice of shifts and compensation for being on call.
Please take action now to demand MPs act to end precarious contracts at the War on Want website at:
The views expressed are those of the author of the letter and not those of Rochdale Online.
Do you have a story for us?
Let us know by emailing email@example.com
All contact will be treated in confidence.
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1Off-road bikers terrorise lorry driver in Milnrow and were caught on camera
- 2Armed robbery at Norden Co-op
- 3Man disqualified for 46 months after drink-driving collision
- 4Rochdale pubs, bars, cafes and restaurants to benefit from the BID
- 5Application for Crimble Lane house to become a residential institution submitted