Centenary of Ellenroad Ring Mill's devastating fire
Date published: 29 January 2016
Ellenroad Ring Mill Fire 1916
Ellenroad Steam Museum is requesting the owners of preserved fire engines and fire equipment to attend the monthly Steaming day on Sunday 7 February to mark the 100 year Centenary of the destruction of the original cotton mill on the 19 January 1916.
John Fitton from The Ellenroad Trust said: “We have been promised a visit by an operational Fire Engine and crew from Rochdale Fire and Rescue, also the famous Dennis turntable ladder from Rochdale Fire Museum and the resident Karrier Fire Engine and static pumps.
"Along with the normal steaming activities from 12.00am-4.00pm and the largest working steam engines in the world Victoria and Alexandra we will joined by visiting folk dancers."
Ellenroad Mill was built as a mule spinning mill in 1890 by Stott and Sons and extended in 1899. It was destroyed by fire on 19 January 1916. When it was rebuilt, it was designed and equipped as a ring spinning mill.
After closure, the mill was demolished in 1982, but the engine house, complete with steam engine and the boiler house chimney were retained. Ownership passed to the Ellenroad Trust. The Ellenroad Ring Mill Engine is still steamed on occasions for demonstrations.
Admission is £5.00 for adults free admission for accompanied children and free admission for exhibitors.
Do you have a story for us?
Let us know by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
All contact will be treated in confidence.
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1Channel Four films new series in Norden
- 2Buses ‘cherry picking’ stops and ‘stranding’ passengers
- 3Reel Cinemas reveal plans for Rochdale Riverside development
- 4Businesses fear for jobs as plans to build 250 homes on industrial estate emerge
- 5Bikers turn M60 motorway into giant poppy with Ring of Red ride of Remembrance