Danczuk’s “appalling” tweet triggers outrage
Date published: 10 August 2016
Simon Danczuk’ s “appalling” tweet
Rochdale MP Simon Danczuk has plumbed new depths – this time with an “appalling” tweet.
Just when things looked like they couldn’t get any worse for the shamed MP, he posted a photo of the Greater Manchester Police and Crime Commissioner, who recently lost the race to be Labour's candidate in the Greater Manchester Mayoral contest, surrounded by guns with the words: “Looks like Tony Lloyd isn’t going to take the Greater Manchester Labour Mayoral election result lying down.”
Social media has exploded with people furious with Mr Danczuk, who believe the 'joke' to be “very bad taste” considering the recent murder of Labour MP Jo Cox, who was shot dead in her constituency, and the gun-related terror attacks taking place in Europe.
- David Miscavige responded: "Why on Earth would an MP, from any party, post a tweet like this?"
- Ian Black posted: "There are no words. Tasteless and irresponsible are a start though."
- Scott Nelson posted: "Gun terror attacks in the EU, escalating gun crime in the US - and disgraced Labour MP Simon Danczuk tweets this."
- Phil Lewis responded: “Dude, you need help. I mean really. Not pretend. As a fellow human, I'm concerned for you. You need help.”
- Jan Vail posted: “Please show some respect to yourself and mankind. Have you considered 'seeking help'? I am truly concerned about you.”
- John Farrington posted: "Dude you're a disgrace to men, women, children, MPs, Rochdale and anyone else who you choose to offend. And you're not funny."
Local Liberal Democrat leader, Councillor Andy Kelly said: "It is especially insensitive when you consider that it has only been weeks since the death of Labour MP Jo Cox.
"This 'tweet' is an affront to anybody affected by gun crime and another sign that Rochdale's MP has completely lost the plot.
"Danczuk has now cemented his place as the most toxic, lurid and mercenary politician in Britain.
"I would now ask whether the local Labour Party, led by Council Leader Richard Farnell, will finally condemn him?"
Tony Lloyd’s office refused to comment.
Do you have a story for us?
Let us know by emailing email@example.com
All contact will be treated in confidence.
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1Channel Four films new series in Norden
- 2Buses ‘cherry picking’ stops and ‘stranding’ passengers
- 3Reel Cinemas reveal plans for Rochdale Riverside development
- 4Businesses fear for jobs as plans to build 250 homes on industrial estate emerge
- 5Bikers turn M60 motorway into giant poppy with Ring of Red ride of Remembrance