Whitworth Community High School presentation evening
Date published: 24 November 2016
Mayor Madeleine De Souza, with current Head Girl Sian Morton, Mia Howells, and guest speaker Dr Allan Jordan
Students’ "superb" GCSE results were praised by Gill Middlemas, the Headteacher of Whitworth Community High School, at the school’s presentation evening.
The ceremony was held at The Riverside, Whitworth, and attended by the Mayor of Whitworth Madeleine De Souza who presented the awards.
This year 64 per cent of students achieved five or more GCSEs at grades A* to C.
Ms Middlemas said: “It was lovely to see many of our 2015-2016 Year 11 students and their families and to present awards to students in recognition of outstanding achievements, effort and progress.
“Shona Wesley was presented with the award for Outstanding Effort across all her subjects.
“Mia Howells and Grace Bowers were the winners of the Overall Contribution to the School award, which rewards their commitment to school not only academically but with regard to extra-curricular activities, senior prefect roles, supporting at school events and taking on considerable responsibilities to support staff and younger students.
“The final award, for the best GCSE results in the school, went to Mia Howells, who achieved 11 A* and A grades.”
The trophies were sponsored by Hanson Springs Ltd.
Guest speaker was former student Dr Allan Jordan who is Head of Chemistry at Cancer Research UK‘s Drug Discovery Unit, based at the Christie Hospital.
After Whitworth, Dr Jordan went on to study Chemistry at UMIST, followed by a PhD in Organic and Medicinal Chemistry.
He also spent the afternoon in school speaking to three year groups of students about aspirations, careers and research into cancer. Over lunch he met some of the school’s top science students.
His message was clear, Whitworth Community High School provides a firm foundation for the future, young people can achieve great things and make fantastic contributions to benefit others and to make the world a better place.
- Best GCSE results: Mia Howells.
- Outstanding GCSE results: Mia Howells, Marcus Mangan, Sarah-Rose Rhodes, Kirsten Bradley, Heather White, Megan Chippendale, Ketsara Lumb, Shona Wesley, Curtis Whitehead
- Overall contribution to the school over five years: Mia Howells, Grace Bowers
- Outstanding effort: Dilavaze Khan, Shona Wesley
- Highest attendance over five years: Grace Bower
- The Melissa Sutton Award: Abby-Leigh Stevenson
- Head Boy: Daniel Heath
- Head Girls: Chloe Quigley, Mia Howells
Student of the Year Subject Awards:
- Music, Cole Proctor
- Art, Cole Proctor
- Drama, Heather White
- Performing Arts, Curtis Whitehead
- History, Mia Howells
- Geography, Luke Taylor
- Religious Studies, Shona Wesley
- Spanish, Mia Howells
- Sociology, Jacqueline Collins
- Chemistry, Megan Chippendale
- Physics, Mia Howells
- Biology, Lauren Aldred
- Additional Science, Oban Davies
- PE, Daniel Heath
- English,Shona Wesley;
- English Literature, Heather White
- Computing, Charlotte Baldwin
- Maths, Ketsara Lumb
- Business Studies, Georgina Flyn
- Food Technology, Georgia Fish
- Graphics, Ketsara Lumb
- Resistant Materials, Luke Jenkinson
- Science, Marcus Mangan
Do you have a story for us?
Let us know by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
All contact will be treated in confidence.
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1Concerns raised over Rochdale’s Riverside complex after it emerges the council is liable for rent...
- 2Town centre sites to be transformed as Rochdale looks forward to reopening
- 3Smithy Bridge man to run 48 miles in 48 hours in memory of late younger brother
- 4CCTV footage released after man, 65, threated with gun and hit with hammer in Middleton burglary
- 558mph in a 30 zone - Speed sting catches reckless drivers