Victim of assault in Rochdale town centre has died
Date published: 29 September 2017
Dixy Chicken takeaway on Reed Hill, off Yorkshire Street
The 59 year-old man who was assaulted on Reed Hill in Rochdale town centre on Thursday has died.
The man was outside Dixy Chicken takeaway on Reed Hill, off Yorkshire Street, at around 9.15pm, when he was punched in the face.
He fell backwards and hit his head on the floor, suffering a serious head injury, he was treated in hospital where he later died.
It is believed he could have been approached by up to five men outside the takeaway, one of which assaulted him.
An 18-year-old man who was arrested on suspicion on section 18 assault has been released under investigation.
GMP’s Detective Inspector Wes Knights said: "Our thoughts are with the man’s family at this tragic time, we are doing all that we can to find those responsible and give the family the answers they deserve.
"I need to hear from anyone who was in the Reed Hill area yesterday evening at around this time, who may have seen something.
"It is a busy part of town in the evening and I would urge people to come forward with information which could be vital for us trying to establish how this man came to be seriously assaulted."
Anyone with information should call police on 101 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111, quoting incident number 2356 of 28/09/17.
Do you have a story for us?
Let us know by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
All contact will be treated in confidence.
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1Appeal for information after 'trafficked' children found living in cannabis farm property
- 2Four men jailed for brutal gang axe attack which left a man with life-changing injuries
- 3Appeal for witnesses after collision which has left a woman in 'critical condition' in hospital
- 4Woman receives serious head injuries in collision
- 5Work commences on former Milnrow police station