Bamford Academy Primary School welcomes Mexican Consul Gomez Toledo
Date published: 11 October 2017
Consul Gomez Toledo opens the exhibit
Bamford Academy Primary School welcomed a very special visitor to the school on Monday (9 October).
The Spanish teacher, Maria Oliver, who is originally from Mexico, arranged for Consul Gomez Toledo, the Mexican Consul to the UK, to visit the school to officially open a travelling art exhibition that Bamford are very proud to be hosting. This is the first time the worldwide exhibition has been hosted in Manchester.
The art exhibition displays entries from last year's worldwide drawing competition run by the Mexican Embassy, which had the theme of Mexican music and traditions.
The children were also delighted to have been invited to take part in this year's drawing competition 'Este es mi Mexico' (‘This is my Mexico’), with the theme the emigration of the Monarch butterfly.
A special assembly was held in the school for parents and visitors, which included traditional Mexican dancing from some of the students, a Spanish poetry recital and singing.
Consul Gomez Toledo then spoke about the exhibition and officially opened it for the school to enjoy.
The headteacher, Lisa Matthews, also thanked Consul Gomez Toledo for his kind donation of books and for contributing to the development of International Cultural education at the school.
Do you have a story for us?
Let us know by emailing email@example.com
All contact will be treated in confidence.
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1‘We have lost an awful lot of parking space’: Businesses owners’ concerns over closure of town hall...
- 2Robber pushes pram over into road before ripping necklace from mum’s neck in broad daylight
- 3Russell’s Café moves to Yorkshire Street
- 4Huge emergency services response at River Roch in search for missing man, later found safe
- 5RSPCA on the move as Hollingworth Lake permission granted