Middleton Borough Chrysanthemum Society’s 102nd Annual Flower Show
Date published: 01 November 2017
Alan Ormerod with the Garden News Shield.
A small group of dedicated growers displayed their treasured blooms at the 102nd Annual Flower Show at Middleton Cricket Club on Sunday 29 October.
Held by the Middleton Borough Chrysanthemum Society, members managed to show over 300 magnificent blooms, to the obvious delight of the many visitors, with the hope of winning one of the many trophies on offer.
The prizes were presented by the Mayoress of Rochdale, Christine Duckworth, who congratulated the Society on their magnificent show.
The judges, nationally known figures in the world of Chrysanthemums, said they were ‘amazed’ how a small society like Middleton could stage a show like this one year after year.
Society Chairman Alan Ormerod said: “Chrysanthemum growers are very much in the decline these days with many societies having fallen by the wayside, but somehow Middleton still manages to put on a show that is loved and admired by the public at large.
“It is a testament to the members for their effort and enthusiasm over the past twelve months. We are probably one of the towns oldest societies – and may that long continue.”
- Alan Ormerod: Garden News Shield
- Jack Barber: Middleton Cup
- Peter Lindsay: Sandeman Cup
- Colin Harvey: Ald Emerson Memorial Trophy, Dr Rose Memorial Trophy, H.J. Gibson Memorial Trophy, Bill Healey Memorial Trophy, Arnold Fitton Trophy
- Howard Livesey: The Wood Cup, J.A. Pattinson Trophy, Society Shield
- Paul Grundy: Ald Heywood Memorial Trophy, Lyndhurst Cup, Arndale Trophy
- David Beesley: Dawson Cup, Jubilee Cup
Do you have a story for us?
Let us know by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
All contact will be treated in confidence.