Lots of fire-work for GMFRS this weekend
Date published: 03 November 2017
Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service
Firefighters are gearing up for the busiest night of year and urging people to go to professionally organised displays to help them have a safe and happy Bonfire Night.
In 2014 Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service (GMFRS) attended 344 incidents on Bonfire Night, successfully reducing that number to 237 by 2016.
GMFRS’ Director of Prevention and Protection, Assistant County Fire Officer Geoff Harris, said: “Our main aim over the Bonfire weekend is for everybody to have a great time but to stay safe whilst doing so.
“Some fireworks can be extremely dangerous - be it how they’re stored or how they are made. If you know of any potentially dangerous fireworks or people that own them, then please call our Fireworks Amnesty on 0800 555 815, and we will dispose of them safely for you, no questions asked."
The best way to stay safe this weekend is to attend an organised event but if you are going to have your own bonfire or fireworks display please follow this simple advice:
- Do not burn, aerosols, batteries, bottles, tyres or tins on (or) paint
- Bonfires should be 18 metres from buildings, trees, fences, overhead cables and car parking areas and no more than three metres high, with a barrier in place to keep spectators at least five metres away
- Use firelighters to get your bonfire going – not petrol, paraffin, diesel or white spirit
- Only buy fireworks marked CE
- Store fireworks in a closed metal box
- Light them at arms-length using a taper
- Never go back to a lit firework
- Never throw fireworks or keep them in your pockets
- Stand well back when fireworks are being set off
- Keep a bucket of water nearby if setting off fireworks in your garden
- Keep pets indoors
- Alcohol and fireworks do not mix
ACFO Harris added: "Our advice is to attend a professionally organised display - there are now some fantastic organised events across Greater Manchester that offer a spectacular fireworks display from a safe distance and provide good value fun for all the family.
Do you have a story for us?
Let us know by emailing email@example.com
All contact will be treated in confidence.