Drivers facing fines for flouting smart motorway rules
Date published: 30 December 2017
Drivers facing fines for ignoring smart motorway rules
Drivers using the new smart motorway system on the M62 could face £100 fines for ignoring smart motorway lane closures.
Highways England says it expects penalties to be introduced from March for "dangerous" drivers ignoring red X signs on overhead gantries.
Road-side cameras to detect lane violations are now being tested.
A Highways England spokesman said: "We close lanes for a reason and drivers ignoring red Xs puts them and others at risk."
A permanent fourth lane opened between junctions 18 and 20 of the M62 this week as part of a phased opening of the smart motorway scheme.
Do you have a story for us?
Let us know by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
All contact will be treated in confidence.
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1Man remains in custody on suspicion of attempted rape
- 2Nowster pub could become new health centre
- 3Police appealing for witnesses after a man was robbed and left with head injuries
- 4Rochdale translation firm ordered to pay more than £240,000 for diverting third of government...
- 5Two men arrested after armed robberies in Rochdale and Oldham