Menu

Rochdale Riverside retail and leisure development to go ahead

Date published: 04 January 2018


Rochdale Riverside retail and leisure development is to go ahead after councillors vowed to press on at a special meeting held on Thursday night (4 January).

The Council Cabinet had been asked to consider the future direction of the scheme, following Marks and Spencer pulling out of the development.

Councillors choose option one of four options considered:

1. Proceed as planned and start building.

2. Delay the decision on whether to proceed with the scheme until the M&S issue is fully resolved.

3. Delay the decision until an alternative occupier is agreed.

4. Abandon the scheme altogether.

Council leader, Councillor Allen Brett, said: “As far as we are concerned, M&S has signed a legally binding contract to take space in the Rochdale Riverside development and we fully expect them to honour that commitment.

“We are not going to let this issue derail what will be a fantastic development for the people of our borough, bringing 24 shops and restaurants, as well as a six-screen cinema, to the heart of Rochdale town centre. We will continue to work with our partner, Genr8, to deliver this game changing development for our residents and visitors.”

Councillor John Blundell, cabinet member for regeneration, said: “We are gearing up to make a number of high profile announcements about the scheme in the next few weeks and more extensive ground investigations, needed to assess conditions before construction starts, will be getting under way next week. This is about a new and exciting future for Rochdale and we fully intend to deliver it.”

Do you have a story for us?

Let us know by emailing news@rochdaleonline.co.uk
All contact will be treated in confidence.


To contact the Rochdale Online news desk, email news@rochdaleonline.co.uk or visit our news submission page.

To get the latest news on your desktop or mobile, follow Rochdale Online on Twitter and Facebook.


Advertisement