Castleton Swimming Pool re-opening to the public
Date published: 01 February 2018
Castleton ward councillors at the pool, Aasim Rashid, Jean Hornby, Billy Sheerin
Castleton Swimming Pool officially re-opens to the public this weekend, the culmination of a regeneration project that saved the pool from closure - the moment will be marked at a special re-opening ceremony on Sunday 4 February at 12.30pm.
The doors were locked as a safety precaution in December 2016, when small traces of Legionella were found in its shower system.
A rescue package was secured and, through a community asset transfer, Crewe Industrial has restored the baths to their former glory.
Castleton Councillor Billy Sheerin, who worked alongside ward colleagues Councillors Aasim Rashid and Jean Hornby to help save the baths, said: “This is a really emotional moment for me and so many others. So much time, effort and money has gone into restoring the baths.
“The impossible dream really has come true and when the ribbon is cut on Sunday there will considerable pride that so much hard work has come to fruition.
"I would like to thank everyone, particularly Crewe Industrial, for doing so much, so quickly ensure our famous baths can be at the heart of the local community for decades to come.”
Nick Crewe, of Crewe Industrial, said: “It is a proud moment that our vision has become a reality. This famous building is a real asset and I am proud to have played my part in securing Castleton Pool’s future, restoring it to its former glory and ensuring in can be enjoyed by generations to come.”
Castleton Pool is located on Manchester Road.
Pool opening times
- Monday: 6.30 - 8.00am & 3.15pm - 4.15pm
- Tuesday: 12.00 - 1.00pm & 8.00 - 9.00pm
- Wednesday: 6.30 - 8.00am & 3.15pm - 4.15pm
- Thursday: 12.00 - 1.00pm
- Friday: 6.30 - 8.00am, 3.15 - 4.15pm & 8.00 - 9.00pm
- Saturday: 12.30 - 2.00pm
- Sunday: 12.30 - 2.00pm
Do you have a story for us?
Let us know by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
All contact will be treated in confidence.
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1Man taken to hospital after being shot near Falinge Park
- 2Mother’s heartache as killer of Chloe Cockton to be allowed home leave from prison
- 3A Castleton woman has been jailed for a collision which left a mother unable to walk
- 4Motorcyclist receives serious leg injuries as collision closes part of Oldham Road in both...
- 5Ealees pond and meadow to be cleared and restored