Residents evacuated in Rochdale after reports of a gas leak
Date published: 11 April 2019
Photo: Google, DigitalGlobe
Buxton Crescent and Andsell Road, Rochdale
Local residents were evacuated this afternoon (Thursday 11 April) following a reported gas leak in the Turf Hill area of Rochdale.
Buxton Crescent and Andsell Road were closed and residents evacuated following reports of a gas leak.
Emergency services were in attendance, including Greater Manchester Police and two fire engines from Rochdale attended.
A spokesperson for the fire service confirmed residents had returned home as of 3.45pm.
A Cadent Gas spokesman said: "Cadent was called this afternoon, as the North West’s gas emergency service, to deal with a report of a gas escape in Buxton Crescent, Rochdale.
"Our engineers found damage had been caused by a third party to internal gas pipes within one property. These are known as service pipes.
"This was quickly isolated by our teams, with the leak stopped, and we are in the process now of putting in a new service pipe.
"We know the fire service took the safety-first precaution to evacuate nearby homes, but everyone is now able to return to their properties."
If you ever smell gas, or suspect carbon monoxide, call 0800 111 999 (calls to this number are recorded and may be monitored).
Do you have a story for us?
Let us know by emailing email@example.com
All contact will be treated in confidence.
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1Heywood B&M store to open in former Dunnes
- 2Twelve people have been charged following daybreak raids in Rochdale
- 3Rochdale man given animal ban for life after two dogs and cat left to starve at his home
- 4Review of Blue Badge fraud as scheme is extended to those with ‘hidden disabilities’
- 5Chloe Cockton's mother urges public to back petition to increase dangerous driving sentences