Warning to residents following accidental kitchen fires
Date published: 20 May 2019
Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service
Residents are being urged to take extra care in the kitchen, following over 400 cooking related fires across Greater Manchester since 1 January.
Since 1 January, Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service (GMFRS) have attended 415 cooking related fires across Greater Manchester.
Three fire engines from Chadderton, Heywood and Blackley recently attended a house fire in Middleton on 13 May, involving the kitchen of a ground floor home on Wood Street at 11.36pm that night.
One casualty suffering from smoke inhalation was conveyed to hospital by North West Ambulance Service and crews were in attendance for approximately an hour.
Group Manager Val Hussain said: “Thanks to quick-thinking and efficient work from our crews, this incident was well managed and prevented from developing into anything more serious.
“More than half of accidental fires in the home start in the kitchen, take extra care when cooking and never leave any cooking unattended.”
Residents should also make sure they know the emergency procedures for their building in case of a fire elsewhere in the block, which should be provided by their landlord or building management company.
High rise residents should ensure that they know what to do in the event of a fire, whether it’s in their own flat or somewhere else in the building.
Station Manager Nick Hince added: “There are simple steps that can be taken to help keep you, your family and other residents safe when living in high rise blocks. These steps include testing your smoke alarms on a weekly basis, keeping doorways, hallways and communal areas free from clutter and reporting any obstructions if you see them.”
If you have a fire in your flat you should stay safe by getting out, staying out and calling the fire service on 999.
GMFRS also offers free Safe and Well visits across Greater Manchester, identifying any fire hazards, fitting a ten-year smoke alarm where appropriate and much more.
High-rise fire safety advice:
- Fire safety in your flat
- Fit at least one smoke alarm in your flat and test it once a week.
- Keep door and window keys accessible.
- Keep your doorways and hallways free from clutter.
- Close all doors at night, especially the doors to the lounge and kitchen, to prevent fire spreading.
- Your front door is a fire door – it keeps you and your neighbours safe. Never prop it open or remove the metal arm or chain which closes it.
- Make an escape plan so that you and your family know what to do if there is a fire in your flat.
- Maintain electrical goods and ensure you turn off appliances not intended to remain on for long periods, such as irons or hair straighteners.
- Don’t overload plug sockets or extension leads.
- If you smoke, make sure you put cigarettes out properly, and don’t smoke in bed or while drowsy.
- Take care with candles. Never leave one unattended and use a proper heat resistant holder on a stable surface away from draughts and flammable materials such as curtains.
Fire safety in your block
- Keep all landings, corridors and doorways clear of obstructions, including rubbish.
- Never wedge doors open.
- Ensure doors to stairways are not damaged or faulty. Report any defects to your landlord or building manager.
- Don’t keep things in your home or communal areas that are highly flammable for example bottled gas, paraffin heaters or liquid fuel.
- Dry risers provide water to firefighters to tackle fires on higher floors. If you see any damage to this equipment, please report it to your landlord or building manager immediately.
- Never block emergency access to your building. Park considerately so emergency vehicles can get as close as possible.
- Get to know your neighbours. They may be young, elderly or vulnerable, and need help during an emergency.
- If you are concerned about fire safety in your building contact your landlord, managing agent or call the fire service on 0800 555 815.
Do you have a story for us?
Let us know by emailing email@example.com
All contact will be treated in confidence.
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1Two new secondary schools approved by government
- 2Former Rochdale care worker sentenced after having sex with vulnerable woman
- 3A man has been jailed after he engaged in sexual activity with a 14-year-old boy near to...
- 4Aldi shoppers in Greater Manchester chosen for new paper carrier bag trial
- 5New parking restrictions approved 'in principle' for Hollingworth Lake