Heywood woman one of the first charged during drink and drug driving campaign
Date published: 26 June 2019
After the first 24 hours of the drink and drug drive campaign, GMP officers made 14 arrests
A woman from Heywood is amongst nine people charged during the first 24 hours of a campaign to tackle drink and drug drivers during the busy summer period.
Andrea Wilson, 46, of Heywood, has been charged with being drunk while in charge of a motor vehicle. She is due to appear at Manchester Magistrates’ Court on Thursday 17 July.
The campaign is led by the National Police Chiefs Council (NPCC) and runs from Monday 24 June until Monday 8 July with the aim of reducing the number of deaths and injuries caused by irresponsible drink and drug drivers.
After the first 24 hours of the drink and drug drive campaign, GMP officers made 14 arrests, resulting in nine people being charged. Five people have been released under investigation.
Anyone charged with drink or drug driving offences during the campaign will be named by GMP.
The last drink and drug drive campaign took place in December 2018 where a total of 228 arrests were made and 1,867 breath, drug and field impairment tests were undertaken.
Anyone convicted of drink or drug driving will face:
- A criminal record
- At least a one-year driving ban
- Higher motor insurance costs
- Endorsement on your driving licence for 11 years
- You could also lose your job
In England and Wales, it is illegal to drive with legal drugs in your body (ie: prescription drugs) if it impairs your driving.
If you suspect anyone is driving under the influence of drink or drugs, contact the police directly on 101 or 999 in an emergency where they pose an immediate threat to themselves or other road users.
Alternatively call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
Do you have a story for us?
Let us know by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
All contact will be treated in confidence.
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1‘Disturbing’ number of council staff do not feel safe at work
- 2Cheeky dads raise £7,000 for Francis House Children’s Hospice
- 3Trams suspended between Oldham and Rochdale following fatal collision
- 4Police are continuing to investigate the rape of a teenage girl in Rochdale
- 5Police investigating the rape of 16-year old girl in Wardle