Caring Whitworth High student rewarded with trophy
Date published: 06 October 2019
Ella Lord with her Absalom Smith Memorial Cup trophy
A dancer, who gives up her time to help toddlers attending pre-school classes, was awarded a top trophy.
Ella Lord, 14, was awarded the Absalom Smith Memorial Cup at the Exam Presentation and Awards evening at The Riverside in Whitworth, organised by Dansworks Dance Academy of Performing Arts, based in Bacup.
The Whitworth Community High School Year 10 student said: “I have been dancing since I was four and always with Dansworks.
“I now do tap, ballet, jazz, street and contemporary and go to Dansworks on Wednesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays.
“In the past 12 months I have also been a volunteer helper with the pre-school classes and I have seen my confidence grow as I look after the younger children.
“I enjoy helping because it is different every time and I see lots of changes in the children after they have been attending for a while.
“I help on Wednesdays and Saturdays when there can be between five and 20 children attending.
“Dancing was something I just decided to try and I found I really enjoyed it.”
Ella said the trophy she won is awarded in memory of the grandfather of Dansworks’ Principal Karen Roe and it is given to someone who embodies his qualities.
Do you have a story for us?
Let us know by emailing email@example.com
All contact will be treated in confidence.
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1Breaking: Flood alert in place in Littleborough
- 2Attack on plans to demolish the Seven Sisters after report warns Rochdale’s housing services are...
- 3Rochdale has one of the lowest disability-free life expectancy rates in the country
- 4Entry fee introduced for Feel Good Festival and plans for new free family event revealed
- 5Zen recognised as one of the UK’s best places to work