Suspicious package found at Crown Oil Arena
Date published: 02 October 2019
Road closures around the Crown Oil Arena
All roads have been reopened and police have left the scene.
A suspicious package has been found at the Crown Oil Arena in Rochdale this afternoon (Wednesday 2 October).
Shortly after 3.06pm today, police were called to reports of a suspicious package at Crown Oil Arena, Rochdale.
Police officers are in attendance and enquiries are ongoing.
A cordon is in place and there are a number of road closures in the nearby area, including:
- Sandy Lane at the junction of Ings Lane
- Sandy Lane at the junction of Jutland Avenue
- Willbutts Lane at the junction of Edenfield Road
Commuters are advised to avoid the area where possible.
Rochdale Football Club have released a brief statement: "The club can confirm we have had to shut the stadium due to a police incident. All of the staff have been safely evacuated and the situation is now in the hands of Greater Manchester Police."
Several bus services have been affected.
Operator Rosso has confirmed that its Trax services between Rochdale and Bury are unable to serve Sandy Lane or Edenfield Road. These services will operate via Caldershaw Road to Spotland Bridge.
Speaking on social media, Rosso said: "A number of roads have been closed. This is likely to be in place for around 4-5 hours."
Anyone with information should call police on 101 quoting reference number 1627 of 02/10/2019, or the independent charity Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555 111.
Updates to follow.
Do you have a story for us?
Let us know by emailing email@example.com
All contact will be treated in confidence.
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1‘We have lost an awful lot of parking space’: Businesses owners’ concerns over closure of town hall...
- 2Robber pushes pram over into road before ripping necklace from mum’s neck in broad daylight
- 3Russell’s Café moves to Yorkshire Street
- 4Huge emergency services response at River Roch in search for missing man, later found safe
- 5RSPCA on the move as Hollingworth Lake permission granted