Countdown to register to vote for the upcoming General Election
Date published: 08 November 2019
Register to vote for the upcoming General Election by midnight on 26 November
Residents of the borough of Rochdale are being urged to make sure they are registered to vote in the upcoming General Election on Thursday 12 December 2019.
Those not registered are encouraged to register before 12 midnight, Tuesday 26 November 2019, the deadline for registering to vote in the election.
People will not be able to vote unless they have registered and anyone who has moved recently should ensure their address details are correct.
If you’re going to be abroad on election day, you can apply to vote by proxy after you’ve registered.
It takes time to vote by post from overseas.
Anyone who is on the electoral register can also register to vote by post or choose to appoint a proxy to vote on their behalf – particularly as the upcoming General Election falls during the holiday season.
If you want to apply to vote by post, register before 5pm on 26 November.
You need to apply for a proxy vote by 5pm on 4 December.
Registration is a quick and easy process.
You will just need your date of birth and national insurance number.
If you need to update your details (for example if you have moved house, or changed surname through marriage) or simply check whether you are on the register, you should contact the council.
Anyone who is already on the electoral register at their current address with the correct details need take no further action.
- Register to vote: www.gov.uk/register-to-vote
- Apply to vote by post after you’ve registered: www.gov.uk/voting-in-the-uk#postal-voting
- Vote by proxy after you’ve registered: www.gov.uk/voting-in-the-uk#voting-by-proxy
- Check whether you are on the council register: www.rochdale.gov.uk/council-and-democracy/elections/pages/the-electoral-register.aspx
Do you have a story for us?
Let us know by emailing email@example.com
All contact will be treated in confidence.
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1Man taken to hospital with leg injury after collision on Halifax Road
- 2Billy’s big dig kicks off new apartment development
- 3M&S officially starts work on new Rochdale Riverside store
- 4General Election 2019: candidates announced for Rochdale and Heywood & Middleton
- 5Local councillors visit JD Sports distribution centre