Festive market returns for Rochdale’s big Christmas switch-on
Date published: 06 November 2019
This year’s Christmas lights will be switched on in Rochdale on Sunday 24 November
The countdown to Christmas begins in Rochdale on Sunday 24 November with the big Christmas lights switch-on, the return of a festive market at the town hall, and lots of extra special magical family entertainment.
The event will include a festive indoor market and family activities inside Rochdale Town Hall. Children will be able to create crafty gifts, have their face painted and make some musical sounds with The Melody Hub. You’ll be able to make a festive keepsake with the team from The Star Tree Studio or learn circus tricks with the experts from Skylight Circus.
The Christmas market opens at 1pm, with 30 stalls in the magnificent setting of the Great Hall. Seasonal food and drink will be served in the Christmas Cafe while Wardle Community Brass Band and Rochdale Music Service get you in a festive mood with yuletide favourites. The Christmas Café will be serving tasty festive fare.
From 1pm outside the town hall there will also be hot food, mulled wine and other seasonal drinks, and the town hall will be lit up spectacularly for the occasion.
From 4pm the build up to the lights switch on really begins with live music from Fat Cat Brass – performing classic pop tunes through an afro-latin and Ska filter! A beautiful winter fairy will be bringing a touch of magic to the event, along with colourful ‘Two Calling Birds’ from the Twelve Days of Christmas song, accompanied by lots more street theatre performances providing a sparkling festive treat.
Father Christmas, the Mayor and a host of special guests will officially switch-on the lights at 5pm.
There are other Christmas switch on events taking place in the borough:
- Middleton town centre, Saturday 16 November – 12 noon to 6.30pm organised by Middleton Town Centre Management.
- Heywood town centre, Saturday 23 November – 11am to 6pm, organised by Heywood Business Group.
- Littleborough town centre on Saturday 30 November – 4pm to 6pm
Do you have a story for us?
Let us know by emailing email@example.com
All contact will be treated in confidence.
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1Rochdale in Rainbows: same-sex and trans symbols replace green man at pedestrian crossings for...
- 2Operation rescues 101 dogs from suspected illegal breeders
- 3Police have arrested a man following a report of an attempted abduction
- 4Friendly faces to boost town centre as rangers introduced
- 5350 children in Rochdale will receive little to no presents this Christmas