Remembrance Sunday 2019 in Castleton
Date published: 11 November 2019
Photo: Sam Ralph Photography
Poppy wreaths adorn the Castleton war memorial for Remembrance Sunday 2019
Hundreds of people graced the village green in Castleton for the annual Remembrance Sunday service on 10 November.
A small service took place at the Memorial Stone, before a two minutes’ silence at 11am.
The Last Post was sounded and wreaths and crosses were laid.
The poignant village green memorial was installed in the summer of 2018 by volunteers, just in time for the centenary of the end of the Great War.
Castleton had previously never had a memorial for the fallen before, despite many of the village’s young men fighting in the World Wars.
Do you have a story for us?
Let us know by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
All contact will be treated in confidence.
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1Alternative plans for HS2 and Northern Powerhouse Rail ‘could save billions’ with new underground...
- 2John Bright: Legacy of Rochdale’s radical social reformer ‘could be ripe for revival’ as debate...
- 3Number of mourners allowed at funerals increases
- 4Volunteers at Hopwood Hall Estate learn the craft of renovating its historic leaded glass windows
- 5Bev Yarwood is named as new president of Rotary Middleton