A search for a long-lost friend
Date published: 01 December 2019
Fred Baxter, pictured in 1954 in the RAF
An 85-year-old man is keen to find an old schoolfriend from Middleton.
Fred Baxter, now of Cheshire, met his friend Darrell Allen when they were younger at Elm Street School in Middleton, leaving in 1948.
After last encountering him 20 years ago, Mr Baxter hopes to find his long-lost friend, who is believed to live in the OL11 area.
He said: “I’d simply discovered that I hadn’t seen him in so long, and it would be nice to get back in touch.
“I’ve checked the obituaries and couldn’t find him, so I’m just hoping he’s still out there.”
Mr Baxter shares many fond memories of his childhood with his friend, particularly school activities.
He said: “Darrell was amazing with woodwork, and even though it was just after the war, and materials were sparse, he’d manage to create something out of nothing.
“One time I remember he managed to make a wardrobe, while I made a cigarette box.”
Mr Allen is believed to be married to Anne, with four children of their own, and three children from a previous marriage.
If anybody personally knows of Darrell, or any family member or relative, please contact the Newsdesk and we will put you in contact with Fred:
Do you have a story for us?
Let us know by emailing email@example.com
All contact will be treated in confidence.
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1Police investigating the rape of 16-year old girl in Wardle
- 2Trams suspended between Oldham and Rochdale following fatal collision
- 3Littleborough care home rated ‘Good’ following unannounced inspection
- 4Security manager prosecuted for allowing fly-tipping at Turner Brothers Asbestos site
- 5Roadworks, temporary local road closures and restrictions